- Holiday Special!! Enjoy a “10 Days of Christmas 10% off Special” through December 11, 2017. Order forms, all images and payment is required to receive discount. Please bring to Mrs. Zook in room 506 OR if it’s a surprise, you can mail/email the info/images to
- Patrick Henry High School
- 12449 W Patrick Henry Rd.
- Ashland, VA 23005
- Click HERE for details and pricing info.
Patrick Henry Chorus at Hanover Tavern
- Madrigals at Hanover Tavern, December 10th at 7:00pm
- Tickets available at http://hanovertavern.org/events/holiday-concert-tree-lighting
- Click here for a promo of the upcoming show at Hanover Tavern
DECA District Competition (DLC)
- Registration – Nov 27-Dec 4, 2017. This is a firm deadline.
- The Competition will be hosted at PHHS on Sat, January 6, 2017 at 9:00 am.
- Students may get registration forms from room 513 & 516. They need to return registration forms or consult with Mrs. Markwood or Mrs. Tinsley before Dec 4 at 1:00 pm to be able to participate.
- Students must participate in DLC in order to be considered for attendance at the State Leadership Conference.
- DECA Competition Judges Needed.
- If you are interested in volunteering to be a judge at the DECA Competition on Jan 6, 2018 please contact Mrs. Markwood at email@example.com before Dec 10th.
- Check out this link for the latest images from this years NJROTC competitions: https://phhsnjrotc20172018.shutterfly.com/
- The application for The Hanover Center for Trades and Technology is now open! Trade School classes are open to rising Juniors and Seniors, including courses in Automotive Technology, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, HVAC, Carpentry, and Electricity. These courses will be 3 credits in the 2018-2019 school year and take 3 blocks in a student’s schedule. Transportation is provided to and from THCTT and lunch will be available for students travelling for Trade School classes. Be sure to consult with your school counselor during your individual academic planning meeting in January/February if interested in Trade School courses. Apply for a spot today; applications are due by 2/15!
- Join youth around the globe who are turning their passion into action. Learn how to plan and implement your own service project for Global Youth Service Day and make a positive impact in your community and the world you live in!
- Sign up to participate in the Hanover Youth Leadership Corps Workshop on December 9, 2017, 9:30 AM – 12 PM.
- Visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GYSD2018 to RSVP by December 1!
- See the attached flyer for details.
- Do you want to help plan Hanover’s Global Youth Service Day Kick-Off Party and mobilize thousands of youth to volunteer? If your answer is YES, consider joining the Global Youth Service Day Youth Planning Coalition! Meetings will be held on January 16th, February 13th, and March 6th from 7-8:30 p.m. in Ashland and the Kick-Off Party takes place on March 17th from 12:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. at the Patrick Henry YMCA. You’ll learn basic project planning and marketing skills, participate in service projects, and meet young people just like you who are making a difference in our community. For more information and to sign up please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GYSD2018. You must sign up by January 5, 2018.
CAREER COUNSELING NEWS:
- IMPORTANT: Seniors need to fill out the 2017-2018 Senior Scholarship Application ASAP! Completing this application will qualify seniors to be considered for several scholarships provided by area businesses and organizations through the PH Scholarship Committee. The deadline to complete the application is Friday, December 29 at midnight. If they’ve not already done so, please encourage your senior to complete this ASAP. Students can use the following link to access the application:http://bit.ly/2017SeniorScholarshipApp
- For additional Scholarship Opportunities and upcoming Scholarship Fairs click below: https://hcpscareercounseling.wordpress.com/scholarships/
- COLLEGE VISITS:
- Longwood University will be holding an On-Site Admissions event with interested Seniors on Tuesday, December 12th at 11:00 am. Senior students must have already applied to Longwood prior to the event (or within 72 hours after) and must come with their transcript and SAT OR ACT scores in hand. Seniors can sign-up to attend this event by clicking on the below Sign-Up link OR by signing up on the form posted outside of the Career Counseling Center Office (located near the World Languages hallway). Please contact Mrs. Edwards, Career Counselor, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign-Up Link – https://goo.gl/forms/wxVZuRRddc9LFs5M2
- The University of Mary Washington (UMW) will be holding an On-Site Admissions event for interested Seniors on Tuesday, January 9th at 11:30 am. To attend this event, seniors must apply/submit their Common Application to UMW on or before Wednesday, January 3, 2018. Students must also come with an official or unofficial copy of their transcript in hand. SAT or ACT scores included on the high school transcript will be accepted as will those already submitted to UMW by the student.
- Seniors can sign-up to attend this event by clicking on the below Sign-Up link OR by signing up on the form posted outside of the Career Counseling Center Office (located near the World Languages hallway). Please contact Mrs. Edwards, Career Counselor, with any questions at email@example.com
- Click Here – UMW Sign-Up Form
- UPCOMING EVENTS:
- Summer Program at CNU!
- Interested in earning college credit this summer while learning about revolutionary thinking throughout history?
- Christopher Newport University’s Summer Humanities Institute is a two-week residential program where students who take or plan to enroll in college-level coursework while in high school (AP, IB or DE) can learn in and outside the classroom from dynamic college faculty in the disciplines of philosophy, history, literature and cultural studies.
- The multidisciplinary immersion course supports the advanced courses students are taking in high school. Participants live in CNU’s residence halls, eat in the dining halls, learn in college classrooms and earn three college credits.
- Check out the program website for additional information at http://cnu.edu/summerhumanities/
- The program deadline is March 15, 2018.
- EXPLORING – Career Education Programs
- Exploring is a unique after-school career education program for young men and women ages 14-20. It provides students with an opportunity to learn about careers in a specific field of interest and network with professionals already working in those fields. Young people get hands-on experience to determine whether or not a particular career field is right for them before making important decisions about their education. They can also develop valuable contacts with professionals and employers in the area, and get to know other young adults sharing the same interests and aspirations.
- Upcoming Orientation/sign-up meetings for students will be held as follows (click the program title for a flyer with more info):
- Architecture & Design Program with Baskervill on Monday, December 4. Online registration at http://bit.ly/2m97DZk
- Dentistry Program with Central Virginia Dental Care on Thursday, December 7. Online registration at http://bit.ly/2yg3QiI
- Bank of America – Student Leaders Program
- Every year, through their Student Leaders program, Bank of America helps connect 225 community-minded high school juniors and seniors to employment, skills development and service. Students are awarded paid summer internships with local nonprofits such as Boys and Girls Clubs of America and participate in a national leadership summit in Washington, D.C. The Student Leaders Summit focuses on skill building and creating a more civically engaged society.
- Students that have a passion for improving the community can learn more about the eligibility criteria and find the 2018 application at Student Leaders Program – Eligibility Criteria & Application
- Juniors and Seniors can apply from October 30, 2017 to February 2, 2018
- Virginia Military Institute Open House Visits
- VMI Open House Visits allow high school seniors and juniors to sleep in barracks, eat in the mess hall, and talk with faculty, admission counselors, and cadets. They are a student and parent affair. Students may bring no more than two guests with them and they must make separate arrangements for lodging.
- For information about VMI Open House Visits contact Capt. Chase Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-464-7211.
- Remaining Open House Dates for 2017-18:
- February 9-10, 2018
- March 2-3, 2018
- March 16-17, 2018
- Summer Program at CNU!
- GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.) provides Spanish speaking advisor for financial aid assistance/questions:
- GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable, college-access organization that assists students and families in obtaining funding for post-secondary education, now has a Spanish speaking advisor available to assist students/families with the financial aid process. The advisor, Conchy Martinez, is bilingual and is available to assist with outreach to the Latino community. She staffs an email in Spanish so that parents who speak little or no English can send her financial aid questions in Spanish and receive an answer in Spanish. Her email is email@example.com.
- Additional financial aid information is available at the GRASP website, www.grasp4va.org.
- Free FAFSA assistance available through GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.)
o GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.) is holding several FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) completion and financial aid information events during the upcoming months that are FREE and open to the public. Below are the dates, locations, and contact information for making appointments.
o Belmont Library (Richmond) – Wednesdays from 6-8 pm – FAFSA and/or financial aid assistance. Call (804) 527-7772 for appointment or visit the library on Wednesdays at that time.
o FAFSA Completion events – Richmond Public Library, Main Branch
Saturday, January 27, 10 am – 4 pm
Call (804) 527-7772 to make appointment.
- For additional Scholarship Opportunities and upcoming Scholarship Fairs click below:
- Get connected with your Career Counseling Center this school year:
o Visit our website at – https://hcpscareercounseling.wordpress.com/
o Follow me on Twitter: @HCPSCareers for up to date details on the latest Careers, College/Military Visits, Scholarships and more!
Athletic Events for the Week of December 4th
- Monday Dec. 4th
- No after school sport events
- Tuesday Dec. 5th
- Girls JV and Varsity Basketball at Varina- 6:00PM
- Boys JV and Varsity Basketball at Patrick Henry – 6:00PM
- Wednesday Dec. 6th
- Gymnastics Varsity Meet at Atlee – TBD
- Dodgeball Tournament – 6PM
- Thursdays Dec. 7th
- Boys and Girls JV Basketball at Patrick Henry- 6PM
- JV Wrestling Meet at Clover Hill – 7PM
- Friday Dec. 8th
- Boys and Girls Varsity Indoor Track Invitational at Boo Williams – 3PM
- Varsity Wrestling Meet at Monticello – 5PM
- Boys and Girls Varsity Basketball at Hanover – 6PM
- Boys and Girls Varsity Swim Meet at Ashland YMCA – 6PM
- Saturday Dec. 9th
- Boys and Girls Varsity Swim Meet at Ashland YMCA – TBD
- Boys and Girls Indoor Track Invitational at Boo Williams – 8AM
STAY IN TOUCH WITH PATRIOT NATION:
- PHHS Website- http://hanover.k12.va.us/phhs/ In support of the snapshots provided by the weekly e-newsletter, our school website will remain the source for more detailed information and links.
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We work diligently to “bundle” information about all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE on our school calendar, including major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course dates are not posted on this larger calendar: PHHS School Calendar 1718