- Check out this link for the latest images from this years NJROTC competitions: https://phhsnjrotc20172018.shutterfly.com/
- There will be a Biology SOL “Push-to-Pass Pizza Party” from 3:40-6:00 p.m. on Monday, November 27.
- Students testing in December have received invitations. Ask any Science teacher for more information.
- Thank you to all that participated in this years PTSA reflections contest
- Congratulations to the following winners.
- 1st place – Madelyne Evans 10th grade
- 2nd Place – Ella Gaskin- 12 grade
- 1st place- Avery Inge
- 1st place entries have been submitted for the County wide competition.
- The application for The Hanover Center for Trades and Technology is now open! Trade School classes are open to rising Juniors and Seniors, including courses in Automotive Technology, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, HVAC, Carpentry, and Electricity. These courses will be 3 credits in the 2018-2019 school year and take 3 blocks in a student’s schedule. Transportation is provided to and from THCTT and lunch will be available for students travelling for Trade School classes. Be sure to consult with your school counselor during your individual academic planning meeting in January/February if interested in Trade School courses. Apply for a spot today; applications are due by 2/15!
- The Ashland First Baptist Church is offering a FREE Community Thanksgiving Dinner for folks who are struggling economically, are in transit, are alone, or just prefer a hot, freshly cooked meal on Thursday, November 23rd from 12 PM – 3 PM.
- To reserve a seat, please call Helen or Price at (804) 798-8988 today!
- If you would like to volunteer at this event, please call Tammy at (804) 798-6040
- Join youth around the globe who are turning their passion into action. Learn how to plan and implement your own service project for Global Youth Service Day and make a positive impact in your community and the world you live in!
- Sign up to participate in the Hanover Youth Leadership Corps Workshop on December 9, 2017, 9:30 AM – 12 PM.
- Visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GYSD2018 to RSVP by December 1!
- See the attached flyer for details.
- Do you want to help plan Hanover’s Global Youth Service Day Kick-Off Party and mobilize thousands of youth to volunteer? If your answer is YES, consider joining the Global Youth Service Day Youth Planning Coalition! Meetings will be held on January 16th, February 13th, and March 6th from 7-8:30 p.m. in Ashland and the Kick-Off Party takes place on March 17th from 12:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. at the Patrick Henry YMCA. You’ll learn basic project planning and marketing skills, participate in service projects, and meet young people just like you who are making a difference in our community. For more information and to sign up please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GYSD2018. You must sign up by January 5, 2018.
- Donate Fox Holiday Socks: Key Club is continuing the tradition of supporting fox holiday socks for Patrick Henry
- We need your help to put a smile on a child’s face this holiday season.
- Pick up your empty socks at the front desk in the office and return to room 404 by Dec. 1st
- One sock equals one hour of service and everyone in school can participate.
CAREER COUNSELING NEWS:
- COLLEGE VISITS:
- Longwood University will be holding an On-Site Admissions event with interested Seniors on Tuesday, December 12th at 11:00 am. Senior students must have already applied to Longwood prior to the event (or within 72 hours after) and must come with their transcript and SAT OR ACT scores in hand. Seniors can sign-up to attend this event by clicking on the below Sign-Up link OR by signing up on the form posted outside of the Career Counseling Center Office (located near the World Languages hallway). Please contact Mrs. Edwards, Career Counselor, with any questions at email@example.com.
- Sign-Up Link – https://goo.gl/forms/wxVZuRRddc9LFs5M2
- UPCOMING EVENTS:
- EXPLORING – Career Education Programs
- Exploring is a unique after-school career education program for young men and women ages 14-20. It provides students with an opportunity to learn about careers in a specific field of interest and network with professionals already working in those fields. Young people get hands-on experience to determine whether or not a particular career field is right for them before making important decisions about their education. They can also develop valuable contacts with professionals and employers in the area, and get to know other young adults sharing the same interests and aspirations.
- Upcoming Orientation/sign-up meetings for students will be held as follows (click the program title for a flyer with more info):
- Architecture & Design Program with Baskervill on Monday, December 4. Online registration at http://bit.ly/2m97DZk
- Dentistry Program with Central Virginia Dental Care on Thursday, December 7. Online registration at http://bit.ly/2yg3QiI
- Bank of America – Student Leaders Program
- Every year, through their Student Leaders program, Bank of America helps connect 225 community-minded high school juniors and seniors to employment, skills development and service. Students are awarded paid summer internships with local nonprofits such as Boys and Girls Clubs of America and participate in a national leadership summit in Washington, D.C. The Student Leaders Summit focuses on skill building and creating a more civically engaged society.
- Students that have a passion for improving the community can learn more about the eligibility criteria and find the 2018 application at Student Leaders Program – Eligibility Criteria & Application
- Juniors and Seniors can apply from October 30, 2017 to February 2, 2018
- Virginia Military Institute Open House Visits
- VMI Open House Visits allow high school seniors and juniors to sleep in barracks, eat in the mess hall, and talk with faculty, admission counselors, and cadets. They are a student and parent affair. Students may bring no more than two guests with them and they must make separate arrangements for lodging.
- For information about VMI Open House Visits contact Capt. Chase Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-464-7211.
- Remaining Open House Dates for 2017-18:
- February 9-10, 2018
- March 2-3, 2018
- March 16-17, 2018
- EXPLORING – Career Education Programs
- GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.) provides Spanish speaking advisor for financial aid assistance/questions:
- GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable, college-access organization that assists students and families in obtaining funding for post-secondary education, now has a Spanish speaking advisor available to assist students/families with the financial aid process. The advisor, Conchy Martinez, is bilingual and is available to assist with outreach to the Latino community. She staffs an email in Spanish so that parents who speak little or no English can send her financial aid questions in Spanish and receive an answer in Spanish. Her email is email@example.com.
- Additional financial aid information is available at the GRASP website, www.grasp4va.org.
- Free FAFSA assistance available through GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.)
o GRASP (GReat Aspirations Scholarship Program, Inc.) is holding several FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) completion and financial aid information events during the upcoming months that are FREE and open to the public. Below are the dates, locations, and contact information for making appointments.
o Belmont Library (Richmond) – Wednesdays from 6-8 pm – FAFSA and/or financial aid assistance. Call (804) 527-7772 for appointment or visit the library on Wednesdays at that time.
o FAFSA Completion events – Richmond Public Library, Main Branch
Saturday, November 18, 10 am – 4 pm
Saturday, January 27, 10 am – 4 pm
Call (804) 527-7772 to make appointment.
- Financial Aid 101 (information) Session
- Wednesday, November 1, 7-8 pm – Gayton Library (Henrico County)
Additional financial aid information is available at the GRASP website, www.grasp4va.org
- Wednesday, November 1, 7-8 pm – Gayton Library (Henrico County)
- Strong Men & Women in Virginia: History Writing Contest
- The Library of Virginia, in collaboration with Dominion Energy, presents the 2018 Strong Men and Women in Virginia History program. This program honors African American leaders and their achievements. High school students in Virginia are invited to participate in the annual essay contest. Four winning essays will be chosen, one from each of the four regions in Virginia that Dominion Energy serves. Prizes include an Apple MacBook Air for each student winner and $1,000 for each winner’s high school. Deadline for submissions is Friday, November 10, 2017. For contest rules and other information please visit http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/smw/2018/essay_prompt.htm
- Service Academy Nominations
- Congressman McEachin is pleased to invite students to apply for a nomination to the United States Service Academies. (US Air Force Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy, US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard). Please click the following link for more information on how to apply: https://mceachin.house.gov/services
- The 2017-18 Senior Scholarship Application is now open for senior students to access. Completing this application will qualify seniors to be considered for scholarships provided by area businesses and organizations through the PHHS Scholarship Committee. The deadline to complete the application is Friday, December 29, 2017 at 12 midnight. Seniors can use the following link to access the application and click on 2017-2018 Senior Scholarship Application:
- For additional Scholarship Opportunities and upcoming Scholarship Fairs click below:
- Get connected with your Career Counseling Center this school year:
o Visit our website at – https://hcpscareercounseling.wordpress.com/
o Follow me on Twitter: @HCPSCareers for up to date details on the latest Careers, College/Military Visits, Scholarships and more!
Athletic Events for the Week of November 201th
- Monday Nov. 20th
- No after school events
- Tuesday Nov. 21st
- Girls JV and Varsity Basketball Scrimmage at Patrick Henry – 5:00PM
- Wednesday Nov. 22nd – Friday Nov. 24th
- Student and Teacher Thanksgiving Holiday – Schools Closed
STAY IN TOUCH WITH PATRIOT NATION:
- PHHS Website- http://hanover.k12.va.us/phhs/ In support of the snapshots provided by the weekly e-newsletter, our school website will remain the source for more detailed information and links.
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We work diligently to “bundle” information about all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE on our school calendar, including major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course dates are not posted on this larger calendar: PHHS School Calendar 1718