Parking Lot Reminder
- All cars need to be moved from the senior lot by 3:45PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays so the marching band can practice.
- The PSAT will be administered at Patrick Henry on the morning of Wednesday, October 11. All 10th grade students will take the PSAT at no cost and did not need to sign up. Students should bring their own calculator!
- SCA will be selling Homecoming tickets to the Enchanted Forest the week of Oct 10th-13th out of the SCA Office before school and during A3 for $20.
- The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test will be given on Tuesday, October 24 at 8:30 a.m. This test is given to all NJROTC cadets as part of the program and as a completer for CTE credit. The test can also be taken by students not enrolled in NJROTC in grades 11 and 12. The test lasts approximately 3 hours. ASVAB scores are used primarily to determine enlistment eligibility, assign applicants to military jobs, and to aid students in career exploration. This test is required by anyone desiring to enter a branch of the armed forces, and test results are valid for 2 years. The ASVAB is also a great test to determine your potential aptitude for specific career fields. ASVAB Tests taken at PH do not get released to military recruiters unless you give permission.
- Non JROTC students (grades 11-12) who are interested in taking this test, please get a permission form from the School Testing Coordinator, Ms. Whitaker, in Room 204 and return back to Ms. Whitaker by Friday, October 13.
- Parents & students, The Voice yearbook staff wants your photos of activities, games & events here at PH! Sometimes your angle and perspective captures the unique story we’d like to share. If you have coverage in JPEG format, please share here. You’ll get photo credits if we include your moments in our yearbook! Thank you for your assistance!
DECA Homecoming Shirts
- Homecoming Spirit Shirts are available in the DECA Store this week. Shirts Long Sleeve and available in Red, White and Blue to got along with the Pep Rally Colors on Friday. Shirts are $15 or two for $25. Cash or Checks made out to PHHS.
IB Testing Fees
- If your child is a Junior or Senior taking an IB level course, then the IB organization requires that they must register for the IB exam in May 2018. Mr. Eads has been coming into classrooms throughout the week to discuss the testing fees, testing dates, and distribute the form attached here. The testing fees are due by October 31, 2017.
- Thank you for your understanding and if you have any questions, please contact Mr. Eads, email@example.com or 804-365-8045.
- Check out this link for the latest images from this years NJROTC competitions: https://phhsnjrotc20172018.shutterfly.com/
- If you have a creative flair- Please consider submitting an entry in the 2017-2018 Reflections Contest
- The Theme is “Within Reach”
- Entries and information on rules can be obtained at the following link
- Artwork in dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition and photography are all accepted.
- Entries Due to Patrick Henry by Thursday, November 2nd.
- There will be a drop off location in the office.
- Questions- Please contact Kelly Evko- 804-396-8228
CAREER COUNSELING NEWS:
- College Recruiter Visits during Week of October 9 & Fast Facts:
o Tuesday, October 10 – Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising – Los Angeles (FIDM)
- FIDM students graduate and go on to rewarding careers in a variety of areas including fashion design, creating television and movie sets, costume design, launching their own fashion companies; and working as fashion buyers, graphic designers, digital artists, product developers, interior designers, and industry executives.
o Wednesday, October 11 – Shenandoah University
- Founded in 1875, Shenandoah University is a private, nationally recognized applied liberal arts institution, located in historic Winchester, Virginia. Shenandoah’s close-knit community is rich in creative energy and intellectual challenge. They offer 44 undergraduate degrees and 30 graduate degrees.
o Friday, October 13 – Bridgewater College
- When students become a part of the Bridgewater College community, they become part of a history that goes all the way back to 1880. Daniel Christian Flory opened the school on September 6, 1880, with six students, including one woman. BC has always admitted women and was the first private liberal arts college in Virginia to do so. This college is rich in history and has much to offer its students.
o We invite ALL PH students to learn more by visiting with the admissions reps from these schools during their lunches this week!
- Upcoming Event: Little Known Secrets of Paying for College
- Event will cover paying for college in the most efficient and effective manner, qualifying for your maximum Financial Aid package, and much more!
- When: Tuesday, October 24 from 6:00 – 8:30 pm
- Where: Oak Knoll Middle School – 10295 Chamberlayne Rd, Mechanicsville, VA
- Fees $25 (Spouse may register for free – fee includes all workshop materials)
- Register Online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/hanoverparksrec
- 2018 High School Diplomats Summer Program (HSD)
- The HSD program is devoted to bringing students from both the American and Japanese cultures the most informative and engaging cultural exchange possible. In addition to daily activities, both groups of students attend daily language classes ranging from beginner to advanced and taught by native speakers.
- Every student is also given the opportunity to present a unique part of their culture. Topics assigned each year vary and often include history, leisure, social issues, and education.
- Program Dates: July 25 – August 5
Place: Princeton University, New Jersey
Number of Students: 40 American students and 40 Japanese students
Eligibility: Students may apply during their high school sophomore and junior years.
Cost: Room, board, special activity costs and a portion of program transportation costs are paid by program scholarships.
Deadlines: Applicants may only apply during the application period, from September 15 through January 8.
*Application is available on the HSD website: www.highschooldiplomats.com
- SAVE THE DATES:
- Monday, October 16 at 6:00 pm – College Information Night at Hanover High School: Learn more about the college admissions process, financing for college, the importance of the college visit, and choosing a college major. Panelists from various Virginia colleges will speak on these important topics.
- Thursday, November 2 from 6:30 to 8:00 pm – VACRAO College Fair at Atlee High School: More than one hundred colleges will be represented and students/parents can gain first-hand information from college admissions representatives. Be sure and mark your calendar for this important event!
- The 2017-18 Senior Scholarship Application is now open for senior students to access. Completing this application will qualify seniors to be considered for scholarships provided by area businesses and organizations through the PHHS Scholarship Committee. The deadline to complete the application is Friday, December 29, 2017 at 12 midnight. Seniors can use the following link to access the application: http://bit.ly/2017SeniorScholarshipApp
- For additional Scholarship Opportunities and upcoming Scholarship Fairs click below:
Seniors and/or Parents of a Senior
- If you are feeling overwhelmed by the “what will I do after high school” question, there is help at PHHS. Mrs. Spaulding, the PH GRASP Advisor, is at school every Thursday. She is available to help with any aspect of the college process, including:
- Do I really want to start college next August?
- Should I start at a 2-year college and then transfer to a 4-year college? How does transfer grant funding work?
- What is the FAFSA (available Oct 1) and how does my family fill it out?
- Do I need to fill out the CSS Profile for the colleges where I plan to apply for extra funding?
- How do I look for scholarship funding?
- Planning to work after high school and needing a credential to get a job? She can also help you with the new Virginia initiative in the area of Workforce Credential Development funding.
- Her sole purpose for being at PH is to help current seniors and their parents through this process in a timely way. You can make an appointment to see her by going by PH Counseling or calling PH Counseling at 365-8020 and speaking with Ms Osborne.
Athletic Events for the Week of October 2nd
- Monday Oct. 9th
- No School for Students
- JV and Varsity Field Hockey at Patrick Henry 5:30PM
- Tuesday Oct. . 10th
- Homecoming Spirit Week: Jersey Day
- Girls JV and Varsity Volleyball at Lee Davis- 6PM
- Boys JV and Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry – 6PM
- Wednesday Oct. 11th
- Homecoming Spirit Day – Way Back Wednesday (any decade or era)
- PSAT testing
- SODA meeting in Health Classroom – 3:45PM
- Boys and Girls Cross Country meet at Atlee – 5PM
- Varsity Field Hockey at Highland Springs- 5:30PM
- Thursday Oct. 12th
- Homecoming Spirit Day – Character Day
- Boys Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry – 6PM
- Girls JV and Varsity Volleyball at Henrico – 6PM
- JV Football Game at Hanover – 7PM
- Friday Oct.13th
- Homecoming Spirit Day – Class Colors – Fr. – white; Soph. – bl; Jrs. – red; Srs -’Merica – Red, White, Blue
- Varsity Football at Patrick Henry at 7PM
- Saturday Oct. 13th
- Boys and Girls Cross Country Invitational at Pole Green Park
- Homecoming Dance at Patrick Henry – 8PM
STAY IN TOUCH WITH PATRIOT NATION:
- PHHS Website- http://hanover.k12.va.us/phhs/ In support of the snapshots provided by the weekly e-newsletter, our school website will remain the source for more detailed information and links.
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We work diligently to “bundle” information about all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE on our school calendar, including major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course dates are not posted on this larger calendar: PHHS School Calendar 1718