- Patrick Henry will hold a school-wide awards assembly on Friday October 6th in the new gym from 9:15-10:45 AM. Students will be recognized for academic achievements earned as Patriots during the 2016-2017 school year. Parents are welcome to attend and will be contacted if your student will be recognized individually.
Parking Lot Reminder
- All cars need to be moved from the senior lot by 3:45PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays so the marching band can practice.
- The PSAT will be administered at Patrick Henry on the morning of Wednesday, October 11. All 10th grade students will take the PSAT at no cost and do not need to sign up. Any 9th grade, 11th grade, or homeschooled students can sign up for the PSAT for $16. Forms to sign up for the PSAT will be available starting Monday, October 2, in the Counseling Center and are attached. Forms and Cash/Check are due in the Counseling Center by Friday, October 6 at 12 PM or you may pay through MySchool Bucks using a Credit Card. Participating in the PSAT as a junior is great preparation for the SAT and enters students into the running for the National Merit Scholarship. Students should bring their own calculator!
- Underclass pictures will be held on October 4-5 and will be taken through English classes.
- Seniors: If you missed the Candid Color senior picture appointments during the summer, the make-up day is October 4. Candid Color will be on-site from 3:15-5:00, and you must sign up outside room 506 to reserve your spot.
- Order forms will be distributed the week of September 25 or students may see Mrs. Zook in room 506.
- SCA will be selling Homecoming tickets to the Enchanted Forest beginning October 2nd. Early Bird Special tickets will be $15 and will sold during all lunches in the cafeteria the week of October 2nd-6th. Tickets will also be available the week of Oct 10th-13th out of the SCA Office before school and during A3 for $20
- The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test will be given on Tuesday, October 24 at 8:30 a.m. This test is given to all NJROTC cadets as part of the program and as a completer for CTE credit. The test can also be taken by students not enrolled in NJROTC in grades 11 and 12. The test lasts approximately 3 hours. ASVAB scores are used primarily to determine enlistment eligibility, assign applicants to military jobs, and to aid students in career exploration. This test is required by anyone desiring to enter a branch of the armed forces, and test results are valid for 2 years. The ASVAB is also a great test to determine your potential aptitude for specific career fields. ASVAB Tests taken at PH do not get released to military recruiters unless you give permission.
- Non JROTC students (grades 11-12) who are interested in taking this test, please get a permission form from the School Testing Coordinator, Ms. Whitaker, in Room 204 and return back to Ms. Whitaker by Friday, October 13.
- Parents & students, The Voice yearbook staff wants your photos of activities, games & events here at PH! Sometimes your angle and perspective captures the unique story we’d like to share. If you have coverage in JPEG format, please share here. You’ll get photo credits if we include your moments in our yearbook! Thank you for your assistance!
CAREER COUNSELING NEWS:
- College Recruiter lunchroom visit during Week of October 2:
- Guilford College (Greensboro, NC) – Monday, October 2
Fun Fact: Guilford College has been included in Colleges that Change Lives for the past 21 years. Students can visit with the GC admission rep during lunch on Monday to find out what makes Guilford such a special place!
- SAVE THE DATES:
- Monday, October 16 at 6:00 pm – College Information Night at Hanover High School: Learn more about the college admissions process, financing for college, the importance of the college visit, and choosing a college major. Panelists from various Virginia colleges will speak on these important topics.
- The 2017-18 Senior Scholarship Application is now open for senior students to access. Completing this application will qualify seniors to be considered for scholarships provided by area businesses and organizations through the PHHS Scholarship Committee. The deadline to complete the application is Friday, December 29, 2017 at 12 midnight. Seniors can use the following link to access the application: http://bit.ly/2017SeniorScholarshipApp
- For additional Scholarship Opportunities and upcoming Scholarship Fairs click here: https://hcpscareercounseling.wordpress.com/scholarships/
- The Virginia Earth System Science Scholars (VESSS) program is an interactive on-line science, technology, engineering and mathematics learning experience for Virginia high school juniors and seniors, highlighted by a seven-day residential summer academy at NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia
- Students selected to participate in the program are immersed in NASA-related research through interaction with scientists, engineers and technologists. The program is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium and NASA Langley Research Center. Hampton University’s Center for Atmospheric Research and Education is providing funding to offer the online course and Thomas Nelson Community College is partnering to provide three dual enrollment transferable college credits.
- For more information and Application Instructions visit the VESSS website:
- Exploring College Options – Student/Parent Information Session
- Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Penn and Stanford are hosting this event to share information with prospective students and their parents about their institutions, up-to-date information about selection practices and processes, financial aid opportunities and more.
- RSVP at: www.exploringcollegeoptions.org
- Monday, October 2, 7:00 pm
Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa at Short Pump
12042 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23233
IB Testing Fees
- If your child is a Junior or Senior taking an IB level course, then the IB organization requires that they must register for the IB exam in May 2018. Mr. Eads has been coming into classrooms throughout the week to discuss the testing fees, testing dates, and distribute the form attached here. The testing fees are due by October 31, 2017.
- Thank you for your understanding and if you have any questions, please contact Mr. Eads, email@example.com or 804-365-8045.
Athletic Events for the Week of October 2nd
- Monday Oct. 2nd
- Boys JV and Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry-6PM
- JV and Varsity Field Hockey at Lee-Davis- 5:30PM
- Tuesday Oct. . 3rd
- Girls JV and Varsity Volleyball at Hanover – 6PM
- Boys JV and Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry – 6PM
- Wednesday Oct. 4th
- Boys and Girls Cross Country meet at Poor Farm Park – 5PM
- Varsity Field Hockey at Henrico – 6PM
- Competition Cheer:Varsity District Tournament at Hanover – 7PM
- Thursday Oct. 5th
- Boys and Girls Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry – 6PM
- JV Football Game at Varina 7PM
- Friday Oct.. 6th
- Awards Assembly – 9:15AM
- Interims Distributed
- Early School Closing – 1:30PM
- Varsity Football at Patrick Henry at 7PM
STAY IN TOUCH WITH PATRIOT NATION:
- PHHS Website- http://hanover.k12.va.us/phhs/ In support of the snapshots provided by the weekly e-newsletter, our school website will remain the source for more detailed information and links.
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We work diligently to “bundle” information about all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE on our school calendar, including major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course dates are not posted on this larger calendar: PHHS School Calendar 1718