Dear PATRIOT NATION,
I hope you are ready for a PHabulous school year because we have missed our PH Patriots and cannot wait to see each and every one of you on Tuesday morning! This issue of PPEx (Patriot Pride Express) is designed to give you the information that is most relevant and pressing. We have tried to think of all of the questions you might have about this week, and then provide the best information to answer those questions. Our goal is that the only worry or concern you have Monday night is picking out your first day of school outfit :).
WHAT IS MY BUS ASSIGNMENT?:
- HCPS bus routes were published in the Mechanicsville Local & Herald Progress on August 30-31.
- Also, here is the link to Transportation Information located on the main county website: http://hanover.k12.va.us/finance/Transportation/default.htm from here, select the link that says Bus Routes, or click here: http://hanover.k12.va.us/busroutes/busroutes.htm Then, click on Patrick Henry High School.
- ACA Bus Info for HHS students traveling to PHHS: ACA Information for The Opening of 2017
WHAT IF I WILL BE DROPPED OFF and/or PICKED UP or I am a STUDENT DRIVER?:
- Please follow the traffic flow illustrated in this diagram: PHHS Student Driver & Parent Drop-off/Pick-up Diagram. We began this traffic flow last school year, and after a few weeks of adjustment, it ran very smoothly! Thank you in advance for your help with keeping our Patriots safe.
- Juniors & Seniors who have a VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE & would like to drive to school may do so the first two weeks of school. Beginning September 18th, anyone parking on campus MUST have a current, hang tag style parking decal. Here’s how to get a decal:
- Pick up the decal application during any of the 4 lunches.
- Provide proof of a current driver’s license and have no other outstanding fees or obligations.
- Return the completed application with all information & all signatures completed.
- Pay the $75 parking decal fee & receive your decal (for now, we are distributing temporary hanging decals until we are able to number the spaces on our newly striped parking lot spaces. After this is done, we will announce a process for trading in temporary decals for permanent ones.
HOW EARLY MAY WE ARRIVE AT SCHOOL?:
- For the safety of our students and school community, doors to school will not be open for students until 8:00 AM. We ask that families make plans according and please DO NOT drop off students prior to 8 AM so that students are not left waiting unsupervised outside.
WHERE DO I PUT MY SPORTS BAG/EQUIPMENT?:
- Student athletes have assigned team rooms by sport and have been accessing these team rooms this summer and may drop off sports equipment and bags in their team rooms before school.
- A coach, PE Teacher, or administrator will be on the back gym hallway to unlock a team room for AM drop offs.
- These team rooms will then be secured before the first bell and until practice time. However, it is important that athletes not leave any valuables or class necessary items in the team rooms.
WHERE DO WE GO WHEN WE ARRIVE?:
- Students arriving for school in the morning are asked to enter only through the doors on the front of the school grounds or at the back, main new gym doors by the small faculty parking lot.
- Between 8:00-8:15 AM, students should report to the front lobby and/or the Commons/cafeteria until they are dismissed to hallways at 8:15 AM.
- We will ALL begin our day on Tuesday, September 5th in Flex Block class. Your Flex Block class group is listed primarily by grade level and alphabetically (except NJROTC & ACA).
HOW DO I KNOW MY FLEX BLOCK ASSIGNMENT?
- All Flex Block assignments are linked here: Flex Block Assignments: 2017-2018
- Administrators and teachers will be in the hallways to assist and also have posters with these listings n the lobby, Commons, and 400’s intersection for reference.
WHAT IS FLEX BLOCK, ANYWAY?:
- Think of Flex Block as a blend of traditional homeroom meets activity period; a place to distribute/collect school-related business items and a time for club meetings & whole school events (pep rallies, assemblies, etc.) that allows all students access but does not impede on instructional time
- We will have Flex Block twice weekly for 40 minutes on Tuesdays & Fridays between 2nd & 3rd blocks.
HOW WILL I GET MY SCHEDULE IF I DIDN’T COME TO FEE NIGHT OR I HAVE LOST THE ONE I PICKED UP?:
- All students will receive fresh printouts of individual schedules in Flex Block Tuesday morning.
- The freshly printed schedules will be on pink paper to reduce confusion.
WHAT IF I AM A MORNING “TRAVELING” STUDENT GOING TO HHS Specialty Center OR Hanover Trade Center?
- Like all students on the first day, please report to Flex Block FIRST BEFORE GOING TO THE BUS RAMP.
- We will make announcements on the first two days to remind you of times to report to the bus ramp.
- Shuttle Bus Schedule 2017-2018
WHAT IF I NEED TO PAY SCHOOL FEES AND DUES?:
- Students may pay fees at school on the first day and throughout the first week during all 4 lunches as well as other teacher directed times.
- Additionally, parents may choose to pay fees online with MySchoolBucks: MySchoolBucks.
HOW DO LUNCHES WORK?:
- You will eat lunch during the lunchtime assigned to your 3rd block class.
- Your 3rd block teacher will tell you which lunch you eat. For Tuesday and Wednesday ALL students should report to their 3rd block teacher to find out which lunch they will eat.
- Lunch is approximately $3-5/day, and the menu is linked here: lunch menu
- You may bring cash or check to deposit in your lunch account at a register in the cafeteria during breakfast or lunch times OR you may load money into your account through MySchoolBucks: MySchoolBucks.
- Cafeteria account numbers remain the same from school to school within HCPS, so students will use their same 5 digit lunch accounts from last year. These are also printed on their schedules next to the name and grade level in the top left corner.
- New enrollees will be assigned a cafe account number within two weeks of enrollment. Our cafe team will help our new students manage matters in the interim until an account number is assigned.
WHAT IF I AM A MIDDAY “TRAVELING” STUDENT GOING TO/COMING BACK FROM HHS Specialty Center OR Hanover Trade Center?
- Students traveling TO HHS/Hanover Trade Center midday will be dismissed a few minutes early from 2nd block and have the option of bringing their lunches or buying the “grab n go” option in the cafe before getting on the shuttle bus.
- Students returning FROM HHS/Hanover Trade Center midday will have first lunch at PHHS (or are in a study hall 3rd block) so that instructional time is not impacted.
HOW WILL AFTERNOON DISMISSAL WORK?:
- Students will be dismissed by administrator announcements in the following order for the first week of school:
- ACA (Advance College Academy) students from HHS
- Seniors (Senior Privilege)
- All other student drivers & car riders
- Bus #s as they are announced (for first week of school)
- In-season student athletes
WHERE DO I FIND SCHOOL SUPPLIES LIST(S)?:
- Students will receive class specific lists from teachers; however, all of the “usual suspects” apply:
- Pens: blue/black; red
WHAT IS OUR BELL SCHEDULE?: PHHS Bell Schedule 2017-2018
STUDENT MEDICATIONS & CLINIC INFORMATION:
- If your child takes medications during the school day, it is important that you complete the proper paperwork to accompany any medications (Rx or Over The Counter) you wish to leave in our school clinic. http://hcps.us/health_services/documents/MEDPARENT.pdf
- Parents must drop off medications with our Nurse, Ms. Daugherty, who is here during regular school hours 8:15 AM-3:30 PM. Students may not bring in medications themselves.
←Guess why this cow is wearing Hawaiian flowers AND has on a bell… because she knows that we are going to “Tiki Torch the Glen Allen Jaguars” at the Friday, September 8th Game at 7 PM. We are wearing luau gear and are bringing back our tradition of ringing cowbells in support of our PHootball Team… buy your PH Pride Bell at the Friday Night game!
SCA SPIRIT T-SHIRTS FOR SALE… PatRIOT in white:
- Don’t miss out! Purchase this newest edition of the PatRIOT tshirt in WHITE for only $10 via school fee collection times.
- If you purchased a size that was out of stock at Fee Night, your shirt order will be delivered to you during Flex Block on Friday, September 8th or Tuesday, September 12th depending upon shipment arrival.
WE LOVE OUR BOOSTER ORGANIZATIONS!:
- We encourage all parents & family members to become involved at PHHS. One amazing way you can do this is to join our PHabulous PTSA, whose mission is to support all students and the whole school program. We also have many other supportive booster groups whose missions each reflect the specific program which they support. Without the diligence and generosity of our active booster groups, we simply could not offer the opportunities they help to make available through their donation of both time and finances. We appreciate all that our boosters do for PHHS!
STAY IN TOUCH WITH PATRIOT NATION:
- The Patriot Pride Express– This is a weekly electronic newsletter that will be collaboratively compiled by the administrative team and then sent out every weekend (typically Sunday evenings) to our eConnect subscribers as a brief overview of timely information that parents and families need or may wish to know. If you have not already subscribed to eConnect messages for PHHS, I encourage you to do so now via this link: eConnect sign-up page.
- PHHS Website- http://hanover.k12.va.us/phhs/ In support of the snapshots provided by the weekly e-newsletter, our school website will remain the source for more detailed information and links.
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We work diligently to “bundle” information about all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE on our school calendar, including major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course dates are not posted on this larger calendar: PHHS School Calendar 1718
- We also utilize the free and reliable Remind App with our students for whole school, grade level, club, group, and team communications. We will invite students to join the various Remind groups during start-up events and gatherings.
PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS: OUR ANNUAL BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT/MEET THE TEACHERS NIGHT AT PHHS WILL BE ON WED, SEPTEMBER 13th from 6-8 PM.
WE LOVE OUR PATRIOTS AND CANNOT WAIT TO SEE you at PHHS: A Place where YOU matter!
-Mrs. Smith & the entire Patriot PHamily