Below, please find a preview of the week to come as well as a few reminders & highlights:
- The first student-run Hanover County Model Congress will be held on Saturday, March 4, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at AHS.
- Students may serve as delegates or committee chairs. Parent volunteers are appreciated. Cost is $20 per student (lunch included).
- Email email@example.com for more details. RSVP by Monday, February 20.
Update on Course Registration
- The Counseling Center has been working diligently to meet with all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students to choose courses for next school year.
- Each student will meet individually with their counselor in order to discuss current academic progress, post-secondary plans, and courses for next year. During this meeting, each student will receive a Course Registration Worksheet to include teacher recommendations and course requests. Each student will bring home a Course Registration Worksheet to be signed by a parent and returned to their PHlex block.
- Please refer to the Course Request Timeline for more details and important links.
Summer Programs and Scholarships
- Students, check out the great summer programs, career exploration programs and leadership opportunities on the Announcements page of the Career Center website!
- Seniors if you are looking for money for college, there are new scholarship postings on the Scholarship page on the Career Center website. Check out these Scholarship Opportunities:
- Deadline Amount Scholarship
- February 17th 2@$1000 Rockville Ruritan Scholarship Senior, Rockville or
- March 31 $1,000 Austin Brown Pleasants Academics, Activities, Essay
- March 31 $3,000 J.K. Samples, HEF 2.0 GPA, Citizenship, Activities,
- March 31 $1,000 Thomas L. Purvis Scholar Athlete, Work Ethic,
Activities, Leadership, Essay
Substance Use Prevention
- Substance Use Prevention Education Blog: http://boldwithprevention.blogspot.com/. This week’s blog post discusses the opioid epidemic and the following upcoming community event!
- “Chasing the Dragon” screening – Monday, February 27th 7-8:30pm
- First Baptist Church (Ellis Hall), Ashland
- Hanover Cares Coalition would like to invite you to a FREE screening of the documentary “Chasing the Dragon: The Life of an Opiate Addict”, followed by a question and answer session on the danger of prescription opioids and heroin in our community. Panelists will include Dr. Jeffrey Reihl (Hanover Emergency Center), Rosalind Watkins (JHW Foundation and a parent who lost her son to addiction), and Chandra Bailey (Hanover Community Services). Come learn about specific Hanover County data, what you can do to prevent substance abuse in your family or community, and available resources. All are welcome!
- Seating is limited to 200. Reserve a spot by registering for FREE on Eventbrite: Chasing the Dragon
Senior Awards Information
- Patrick Henry High School will recognize senior Eagle Scouts and Gold Award recipients at our Spring Awards program.
- Please email Mrs. Roane in the Counseling Center at firstname.lastname@example.org if your son or daughter is a senior Eagle Scout or Gold Award recipient so that we can include them in the program. Congratulations to our seniors who have earned these fine accomplishments!
- JROTC will have a fundraiser on April 19th at VCC Buffalo Wild Wings from 5pm until 8pm where the cadets will earn 15% of food proceeds with valid receipt.
- To keep up to date with latest JRTOC news and events click here
Virginia Lottery Hero’s of Education
- Join us in celebrating Virginia’s true heroes of education. Nominate an outstanding K-12 public school teacher for the Virginia Lottery Super Teacher Award, and he or she could win $2,000 cash and $2,000 from The Supply Room Companies for classroom supplies.
- Let’s spread the word to help get some of our amazing teachers in the game. Anyone 18 or older can visitvasuperteacher.com between now and February 13 to submit a nomination. The Virginia Lottery wants to put a spotlight on those amazing educators who go the extra mile each and every day, demonstrating passion, innovation, collaboration and creativity in the classroom. A blue-ribbon panel of judges will select one teacher from each of eight geographic regions of the state to join 72 awesome educators who have been recognized since 2008. In the ranks of this distinct honor are classroom, music, special education, art and physical education teachers from every corner of Virginia. Is a teacher from our school next?
- Help the Virginia Lottery, the Virginia PTA and The Supply Room Companies celebrate 10 years of recognizing amazing teachers across the Commonwealth by nominating your Super Teacher now! The Virginia Lottery is game for education, contributing more than $8 billion to Virginia’s public schools since 1999. Want to see how much your district received in Fiscal Year 16? Check out valottery.com/playing_matters.aspx.
- For all the latest updates on Patrick Henry Athletic Teams and accomplishments click here.
|PHHS SHARE OUT
PHHS Events February 6th – February 11th
For the full list of events at Patrick Henry click here
Monday February 6th
|Girls JV and Varsity Basketball at Armstrong
Rescheduled from 1-10
|Boys JV and Varsity Basketball at Patrick Henry
Rescheduled from 1-9
|6:00 and 7:30PM|
Tuesday February 7th
|Early School Closing and Teacher Professional Development||1:15PM|
|Boys JV and Varsity Basketball at Patrick Henry||6:00PM and 7:30PM|
|Girl Varsity Basketball at Varina||6:30PM|
Wednesday February 8th
Thursday February 9th
|All District Choir at Deep Run|
|All-Star Basketball at Patrick Henry||10:15AM|
|Boys JV and Varsity Basketball at Maggie Walker||5:30PM and 7:00PM|
|Girls JV and Varsity Basketball at Patrick Henry||5:30PM and 7:00PM|
Friday February 10th
|All District Choir at Deep Run|