Below, please find a preview of the week to come as well as a few reminders & highlights:
1st Quarter Interim Grade Reports
- Paper copy of 1st Quarter Interim Grade Reports were distributed to students on Friday, October 7th in PHlex Block. Please ask your child about this report.
- This information is also reflected on your child’s/parent PowerSchool account :). https://hanover.powerschool.com/public/
Homecoming Varsity Football Game Friday & Dance Saturday
- Patriot PHamily- Let’s have a RECORD SHOWING OF COMMUNITY SUPPORT AT THIS GAME! We have a 5-1 winning record, a gorgeous stadium & field in excellent condition, & a supportive, excited group of awesome students to whom we can show our love!
- Tickets for homecoming were on sale during lunches this past week. There are a limited number of tickets left for sale so be sure you get yours early next week! SCA will stop selling tickets once they have sold out. All students who wish to attend must turn in a behavior contract when buying tickets. See attached.
- The homecoming pep rally will be on Friday during PHlex block.
- The homecoming dance will take place on Saturday October 15th from 7-10PM in the Commons. All students who want to attend the dance will need a ticket to enter.
- Parent-Teacher conferences are coming up on Oct. 27th from 1:45-6:45PM.
- Scheduling will start Monday, Oct. 10th. Conference request forms are available in the Counseling Center at Mrs. Osborne’s desk, on the PHHS Website.
- Please complete the form and return to Mrs. Osborne by Tuesday, Oct 25th. You may drop off the form, fax it to 804-365-8027, or email to email@example.com.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 will be PSAT day at Patrick Henry.
- All 10th graders will be taking the test at no charge.
- Any 9th or 11th grader may take it for $15 and can sign up through the Counseling Office. Sign up sheets are due by Oct. 12th
For FREE SAT Preparation materials, click here: https://www.khanacademy.org/sat
- 12th grade students were given a permission slip last week to participate in the Hanover Cares survey to collect data on substance perceptions in the community. This survey is anonymous, and the data collectd is required for the renewal of the grant funding this important cause of keeping our children and community healthy.
- Please sign this student survey permission and return to your PHlex teachers. We will be offering students a chance to take the survey again on Oct. 19th.
- Check out the Substance Use Prevention Education Blog to stay up to date on current information, learn about school and community programs, and get tips on how to keep your teenager healthy and happy! Take a look at this week’s post to find out more about Drug Take-Back Day on October 22!
IB Exam Information
- Registration for Juniors and Seniors enrolled in an IB level course began on 9/19/16, and ends on 10/31/16. Thank you to the many parents who have already taken care of this obligation.
- Listed below are the courses with teacher’s last name of the IB courses testing this school year.
- English HL-B (Bittner)
- Biology SL (Scheele)
- Spanish SL-B (Cruse)
- Biology HL-B (Whitlock)
- German SL-B (Miehm)
- Chemistry SL (Embrey)
- French SL-B (Headley)
- Mathematics HL-B (Austen)
- Latin SL-B (McGraw)
- Mathematics SL (Steuart)
- Economics SL (Emerson)
- Math Studies SL (Lasker)
- History of the Americas HL-B (S. Warnick)
- Visual Arts SL (Porter-Daniel)
- Psychology SL (Eads)
- Visual Arts HL-B (Porter-Daniel)
- Psychology HL-B (Eads)
- If a student is enrolled in any of these courses, then s/he is required to take the IB exam for the course in May 2017. The registration fee ($168) is paid for by Hanover County. The testing fee this year of $116.00 per subject is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Forms were distributed to students over three weeks ago and can be found online at https://hcpsib.wordpress.com/ib-registration/.
- Fees can be paid on https://www.myschoolbucks.com or with a check made payable to PHHS (Please indicate “IB Exam Fees” in the memo field).
- Return the registration form with payment to Mr. Eads in the IB Office (Glass Office beside Library) by 10/31/16. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Eads (IB Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hanover County Public Schools & CodeRVA introduce a new online course to students interested in computer science – See attached flyer for details.
- Fill out the PHHS School and Community Scholarship Application by 4pm on December 9 to be eligible for the many local scholarships sponsored by our community!!
- The PHHS Scholarship application can be found by going to the HCPS Career Center website and clicking on the “Scholarships” tab. You will need to use your school Google login to access the application.
- Don’t forget to check out the scholarship database where new scholarship opportunities are posted weekly! For more information, see Ms. Konrad in the Career Center on Thursdays and Fridays!
School Counseling News
- The PH Counseling Center is putting together an Advisory Council to review the counseling curriculum and provide input on goals and activities.
- This group will meet twice a year (once in each semester).
- We would love to have a parent representative to provide us with the communities perspective. Please email Mr. Hurley at email@example.com if interested!
PHHS Events October 10th-15th
Monday October 10th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Glitz & Glam It Up (silver/gold, shiny, sparkly)
|JV and Varsity Field Hockey at Atlee||5:00PM and 6:30PM|
Tuesday October 11th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Double-Up (Twins)
|Parent Workshop: Technology Information in the Library||6PM|
|Varsity and JV Girls Volleyball at Patrick Henry||6:00PM and 7:00PM|
|Varsity and JV Boys Volleyball at Lee-Davis||6:00PM and 7:00PM|
Wednesday October 12th Spirit Week Daily Theme: All Mixed Up (Wacky Tacky, Crazy Hair)
|Boys and Girls Cross Country meet at Bryan Park||5:00PM|
|Varsity Field Hockey at Patrick Henry||6:00PM|
Thursday October 13th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Sport It Up (Jersey/Athletic)
|School Board Visit to Patrick Henry|
|Boys Varsity Volleyball at Henrico||6:00PM|
|Girls Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry||7:00PM|
|JV Football at Armstrong||7:00PM|
Friday October 14th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Squad-Up (class colors: Freshmen – white, Sophomores – blue,
Juniors – red, Seniors –red, white, & blue)- Pep Rally Day!
|Varsity Football Game at Patrick Henry
Homecoming Game! Student Section Theme: ‘Merica – Red, White, & Blue
Saturday October 15th
|Marching Band Competition at Hanover High||TBD|
|Homecoming Dance at Patrick Henry in the Commons
||7:00 – 10:00PM|