Dear Patriot Nation,
Great things are happening at PHHS as we prepare to welcome back our Patriots with PRIDE! In order to be good stewards of the resources we already have before assessing and planning for future needs, we have been working this summer on assessing, redefining, purging, cleaning, and reorganizing what already exists. Doing this together with our available summer staff, students, and parents along with the support of our School Board Office, I am reminded that the most valuable resources are PEOPLE and COMMUNITY; not things. If this small portion of our community has accomplished this much, imagine what we could do with everyone involved! Patriot families, we need YOU in whatever way each of you can jump in- time, talent, and/or financial- it all adds up! If we work as unified school community, we will be unstoppable in what we can accomplish for our children and their futures. To inspire you a bit, I’d like to share a few of our accomplishments in the past few weeks:
- Coach Crowder & Coach Farmer have worked tirelessly all summer on our fields, and our football field looks gorgeous!
- Parent members of PATS, PTSA, and the community joined our football players, coaches, and other staff to hold the third annual Stadium Pride Clean-up. From weed eating and raking every fence edge to powerwashing the bleachers to full shine, it looks beautiful! We are ready for some PHootball PHun!
- Our weight room received a deep clean and a power wash.
- Our tennis court replacements are fully underway and should be ready for play in the early fall.
- Thanks to the creativity and diligence of our Horticulture Teacher, Mr. Cornette, we have gorgeous, patriotic themed plantings welcoming visitors at both the main front entrance and the back gym entrance.
- Inside, we have purged, cleaned, redefined and reorganized many spaces, allowing us to reclaim areas for much needed areas for meetings, trainings, and storage while also boosting the atmosphere of the teacher existing and newly developed staff work spaces. We have filled a construction grade dumpster to the brim from the cleaning we have done, yet we have repurposed anything we could to save funds.
- In the past, we have had limited meeting space for meeting space. We now have a Professional Development and Meeting Room that is freshly painted and fully furnished thanks to our PHantastic PTSA. We look forward to pridefully hosting small events and meetings in this space.
- In the front office suite, we have reconfigured our available spaces for maximum efficiency and customer service needs. For a new, updated, and efficient staff workstation complete with copiers, computers, fax machine, and other supplies; we have ordered counters and tables to add to this. We also have a newly designed attendance service area in progress that will unfold in stages over this first semester.
- Our locker rooms have been fully refurbished with locker repairs, new paint, and a restroom deep clean.
- We are working closely with our PTSA on updating our student cafeteria. Please stop by their table at fee night to hear more about how you can help with this goal that serves all of our Patriots!
- The renovations of the Lee-Davis HS and Patrick Henry HS auditoriums are temporarily on hold due to higher than expected construction costs received by the school division during the bid process. The Hanover County School Board will carefully evaluate these projects in September. We will provide you with another update on the status of these projects when more information becomes available. Thank you for your patience.
Please remember that we want all Patriots in the know & in the loop, so please encourage friends, family, and neighbors- anyone with a student at PHHS- to sign up for eConnect. To recap from Issue 1, here are our primary modes of communication this year:
- eConnect- This is a service of choice where parents must OPT INTO this service by registering current contact information. eConnect is intended to be a tool for keeping families in the loop with proactive, planned communication as well as with critical school notices if and when needed. Please take a moment to ensure that any parents or community members wishing to receive mass notification are signed up for all relevant schools with current info: eConnect sign-up
- The Patriot Pride Express– This is a weekly electronic newsletter that will be collaboratively compiled by the administrative team and then sent out every Friday afternoon to our eConnect subscribers as a brief overview of timely information that parents and families need or may wish to know. Our school website will remain the place for more detailed information. If you have not already subscribed to eConnect messages for PHHS, I encourage you to do so now via this link: eConnect sign-up.
- PHHS Website- Thanks to our webmaster, Ms. Terri Lent, our website has been updated and streamlined. While additional tweaks and improvements are to come, I want to thank Mrs. Lent for working with the current web design platform to maximize the available presentation and layout options. We are excited to learn that an upgrade of our district website platform is expected later this year. In the meantime, please access our website as a starting point for other relevant school links, bell schedules, announcements, and copies of current and past issues of The Patriot Pride Express.
Note: Please check out the Athletics Website that is linked here; every website hit helps!
- PHHS Calendar- On our school website you will find a link to the PHHS School Calendar, formerly referred to as the athletic calendar. We are working to “bundle” your communication and information sources and hope that attempting to capture all major school-related happenings in ONE PLACE will move us in this direction. This school calendar will be where you may find major holidays, early release days, report card distribution, whole school events and assemblies, large field trips and concert dates, sports competitions, standardized testing dates, etc. Specific club, organization, and course/classroom dates will not be posted on this larger calendar. Please access the website for our complete upcoming school events, including these highlighted below:
|First Home Varsity Football Game 7 pm||9/2|
|First Day of School||9/6|
|Back to School Night 6pm-8pm||9/14|
|Grade Level Specific Fee Nights
8/23 from 2-6 for 11th & 12th
8/24 from 2-6 for 10th, 11th, & 12th,
& 8/30 from 4-7 for 9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th
Freshman Program 7pm following the 9th Grade Fee Night- for parents & students
|(details) plus see more info in chart below…|
|Fee Nights- Please come on your grade level assigned date. On your assigned date, you may come at any time during the fee pay window. It is an “open flow” time format.
For Students and/or Parents: Why Attend? You get the “business” part of school start up done and off your plate, you get your schedule early, and you get to see us!
1) Pay in person OR
2) “Fast Pass Lane” for anyone who paid online and has receipt
We can’t wait to see you all soon!
In Patriot Pride,